When we didn’t have four kids and it wasn’t so terrifying to go out to a restaurant, we ate at Olive Garden a lot. Shane always got Sausage and Peppers Rustica and I always got Seafood Portofino. Then one day, Sausage and Peppers Rustica was no longer on the menu. They’ve since added it back on, but it was missing from the menu for a few years.
So, I made up this recipe to satisfy Shane’s need for Sausage and Peppers Rustica. It’s really nothing fancy or special. You could use fresh herbs instead of dried and that would be much tastier.
Every Sunday I make a pot of something and he takes that for lunch during the week. It has to be quick and simple because I usually end up making dinner at the same time. This is a recipe I make for his lunch a lot.
It’s a bit thick because that’s how he likes it. You can always add another 8 oz. can of tomato sauce to thin it out a bit.
- 16 oz. penne
- 1 lb. sausage, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Cook penne al dente and set aside.
- Cook sausage for a few minutes, do not drain.
- Add up to 1 Tbsp olive oil as needed to cook onion and bell pepper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until tender.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, sugar and seasoning.
- Simmer until hot.
**Recipe Disclaimer: No recipes were harmed in the making of this pasta dish. All credit has been given where credit is due. If you believe that an error has been made please send me a pleasant email (preferably not in all caps) to inform me of your concerns. I also ask that you please read my entire blog post before rendering any verdicts. Thank you!**