This is a popular dish in Hawaii and one I grew up eating. It's very quick and easy and my kids love it. I've given this recipe out more than any other recipe I've created and it's always loved.
- 10 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1.5 tsp grated ginger (or 1/2 tsp powdered ginger)
- Boil all in ingredient except chicken.
- Add chicken to sauce.
- Cook on medium for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken thighs over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn stove off and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with white rice.
I store the chicken and sauce separately so the chicken won't get too salty. The sauce is excellent for pouring over white rice and veggies.